Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Update from Bethisda

From DC

So yesterday after Starbucks I went off to Jonestown to see the incline plane....sounds weird right....well it's this cable run car lift that goes up the side of this mountain. It was built back in the 1800's to get ppl and equipment to the farming community at the top of the hill. It foes up at a 35 deg angle... Up 800feet I think. Very cool. Went up there and looked around...had a real nice view from up there. Came back down and headed for the YMCA I passed...paid my 10$ did a 5k.....and it kicked my ass. Once again, no excuses....I'm doing this to myself...poor diet, lack of excersise , a cold, and walking around all these stadiums where ppl are smoking are all factors working against me. I went to go lift after the the weight room was packed and super small, so I went to do sprints...but the treadmill did not go fast enough...so I cranked up the incline, and gave er a go....no dice...I was getting light headed...I was done. So shower, shave, and out to the van.
Hang up my workout clothes thru-out the van...I checked my phone and their was a msg from an old friend I hadn't seen in forever. So I sent her a msg and we met up in DC...well just outside of DC....Bethesda.
Rebeca Stanley!....or Johnson I should say! Wow! So we met up and had a couple beers and caught up....just a good bs!
So after that...we left the pub and she pointed me in the right direction for a place to stay...said good night and I drove for abit...found a good spot and called er a night.
Woke up this morning...hopped on a bus...and of course I did not have any change...rebeca gave me a fair card and I thought it would work on the bus...not so much....but the bus driver was super cool and one he'll of a character and he let it slide!! He was a super terrible driver tho!! 
Got to the station and got on the metro for the Smithsonian....one change from red line to orange, 2 more stops and I was there....pretty simple! Found my way to the National air and space museum....wow they got some stuff there!
So I joined in on a tour group.... Learnt some good aviation factoids and then meandered, moseyed, rambled, whatever you want to call it for the rest of the next 5 hrs or so. But I also learned that a good portion of the collection is at the airport...so I'll be hitting that up on my way out of town prob Thurs. 
Tomorrow will be the holocaust museum.....that's going to be a good but heavy experience....and see what else there is to see down there.
After I left the museum...I started walking towards the Washington memorial.....took a look round there and started making my way to the Lincoln memorial. On the way there I went thru the WW2 memorial...wow, very cool...very nice at night....very humbling to see and read the quotes carved in stone. Spent some time there in the wind and the rain....and made my way to the reflection pond...neat.....and on to the Lincoln memorial.....
There I sat, on the cold marble floor off to the side....feeling very very small. Feeling like I have done nothing with my life. I sat and wrote down my thoughts...I don't know if I'll post that one....don't get me wrong...I'm not drowning in self pity...not at all.....everyones life has a different path and I guess the path I'm on is meant for me...obviously eh. I feel at 28 I think how I should have felt 5 or 6 years ago....
Anyways...so I took some pics, reflected alot and started making my way back to the metro. Got back to Bethesda and Rebeca picked me up and dropped me off at my van that was still there! 
So here I sit at a nice brew pub. Tasty beer in my hand and a burger on the way. I find myself starting to worry about money now. I'm actually being pretty good...not alot of frivolous spending...I've only got smashed once or twice at the bar and it was under 40$ each time. But this part of the trip...being in larger cities is proving to be more expensive. Parking, food, stuff to do and look at....5$ here, 10$ there...adds up quick. But...all I can do is limit the....extra curricular activities...and I am. There is an inherent cost doing something like this and there is no way I could do this without the Delica. That's saving I'd say on average 100$ a night....so that's a plus.
Anyways....tomorrow will be much of the same and Thurs will be more airplane geeking out and start making my way towards jersey I think. 
So.....Gnite I suppose. I hope every one is well and happy. Miss y'all........really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment