Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Amarillo by morning....Wednesday

What a great song...food ol George Straight. I've noticed that alot of country songs about the rodeo...the life described is very similar to that of aviation....I mean you have to replace a few words here and there...but it fits...having nothing...having it...the dream, cost you everything, girlfriends, family, health...long days...I love country music...I expect to catch a bunch of flack for that statement!
So G'day....I'm in Thunder Bay....it was funny, I dropped off a resume at a place called Wiskair....they have a tv there showing pics....and what do I see on there is some pics of Chinooks 206 GNC...turns out one of the low time drivers did his training there..so the gal that showed me around actually knew some of the same people I did...small world. We looked around the hangar and an engineer there.....we shook hands and he says...you look familiar....lol so we said where we worked and figured it was prob back in the Manitoba days...and he knew some of the same people I did....super small world.
So recap of the last few days. The last post was written monday before I met up with Joel. So I met up with him and his gf...we went for a drive around his neck of the woods, got some beverages for the night and went back to his place and made dinner. We had dinner, took the dog for a walk, drank and bs'd and watched a recorded UFC and crashed out. It was great to see him again...it's been a while. 
I wanted to get up at 6 and get on the road...but the hangover had other ideas. We got up round 7, Joel made a yummy breaky and I was on the road for 8ish bound for Thunder Bay.
The weather round that area...Port Sydney was cold and snowy so the driving was not great. The Deli performed great as usual. The further north I went the better the weather got...there was a few kinda melty spots but once I hit Sudbury it was clear till later on in the evening.
I made a stop in Salut St Marie to drop off a res and have a meet and greet. It was with Ont Ministry of Natural Resources...nice guy...we had a great chat...talked about how it works with them...he gave me the number of a guy in Wawa...so I gave him a call and later on when I passed Wawa, I found the hangar and dropped off the res in a truck that was left open for me! 
Went thru some windy and snowy sections after the but nothing to crazy. I made it to a town called Terrace Bay...it was 1200 by this time, I had been on the move for 16 hrs...with 230km to go...I was done. So I looked for a place to plug in to no avail, so I let the van run all night. It was -14 with the wind chill it was -21...if I shut the van down no way it was starting in the morning. So I shut off everything, hoped in the back and had a great warm sleep! 
Woke up this morning and started up to here.....Thunder Bay. 
So I grabbed a coffee...I don't need any food...I've still got tons left from what Uncle Geoff and Nicoletta loaded me up with in TO. 
So the plan is right now, Winnipeg area tonight...like 8 hrs...nothing crazy...dump out 3 resumes tomorrow then make tracks for Calgary on Thursday. Friday morning sump out 2 more then Kelowna bound. These are realistic goals. I should be home Friday night. Then leave prob Monday for Calgary to hang with Morgan for a day, then zoo lights, the xmas extravaganza, then my Bday, then home to White Rock. 
Ok....well that about covers it for now.....to recap, I love country music, the helicopter world is a small one and I've got lots of km's left but I'll be in my own bed Friday night :) 
Cheers everyone.

1 comment: